One of my boys’ favorite things to do in November is packing shoeboxes for Operation Christmas Child. I pull out boxes full of small toys, art supplies, toiletries and more and they get to each fill their boxes with items for a boy their age. They love filling the boxes and I love that they love it!
- After Christmas sales – buy small stocking stuffers at 50%, 75% and sometimes even 90% off! The retailers also clearance many of their toys after Christmas, so you can pick up some small toys in the toy department.
- In late summer when the school supplies get really cheap for back to school sales, I stock up on markers, crayons, glue, etc.
- If you coupon, pick up some of those free or nearly free deals for toothbrushes, toothpaste, soap, etc.
- The Target Dollar Spot is also a great place to find stuff…each season they clearance their Dollar Spot inventory to 50%-75% off!
- Michaels, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn’s and other craft stores – look for small craft kits on clearance. These are great for older kids.
- Store promotional items – many stores have pencils, pens, coloring books, etc and if you talk to the manager they almost always are willing to give you stuff!
- Party Supplies – look for party favors that have been marked down.
- Dollar Store – Great place to find toothbrushes, toothpaste or socks. They also have a good selection of coloring books and smaller packs of crayons.
- Set aside some of the candy your children get at Halloween!
Basically, I keep the shoeboxes in the back of my mind all year long and am always looking out for a good deal on things to include in the shoeboxes.
Do you have any tips for frugal shoebox shopping?